Welcome to my Fundraising Committee Newsletter!

I've created this page for up-to-date information on my Fundraising Committee meetings and events.
This page is for volunteers only. If you are not in the Fundraising Committee, please send me a message on how to join & what's involved in being a volunteer (you can also read the 'Your Help is Needed' section). Thank you for your help! NFT Fundraising in Honor of Victoria Santiago

Thursday, September 22, 2011

CALLING ALL VOLUNTEERS!!

I have been looking for a venue to hold the bi-weekly (2 times per month) Committee Meetings for those who have signed up as Volunteers, in the Brooklyn area, and I'm hitting a little snag in that department.

If anyone knows of any venue's that would be willing to allow us use of a room for 1 hour, on a Saturday, between the hours of 4-6pm, then contact me immediately.

These meetings are vital in getting the Volunteers together on 'the same page'.  I was considering in holding a meeting in the park, but the weather is a bit too cold now for that.  However, if need be, then that's where our first meeting will be held, in Owls Head Park, in Bay Ridge Brooklyn.

I don't want to resort to that, and am making every effort to find a more suitable venue (even a classroom, if it's allowed), I will do that.  So, I am still sending out emails and making phone calls, however, if anyone knows of a place where we can gather (whether it's at your office, or of a local community center that you may know), please pass on that information to me.

Either way, the first meeting will be held on October 1, 2011, Saturday, at 5pm.  The location is to be determined.  But if we don't get our first meeting underway, then the Committee will fall apart.

I will post a new blog as soon as the venue is determined, but it will be in Brooklyn, and I'm looking at the Sunset Park, Bay Ridge, Boro Park areas.

This is also the site where recaps of the Committee meeting highlights will be posted.  However, at these meetings, flyers and other important items will be distributed.  So, if you can't make a meeting, and view this blog for information on key points to the meeting, there will be documents that you may not have that were distributed.  If that's the case, than we would either have to meet for me to give you these documents, or you can pay for a shipping label for me to mail them to you.  It's very important that these meetings are attended, to keep the unity & to keep everybody focused on what's going on in the Committee.  Thanks for your time!

PS-For those who have signed up as Volunteers already, please 'join this site' by clicking the blue button on the right that says "Join this Site" via google friend connect, so you can stay up to date on when blogs are posted that are Committee related.  Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. I would try churches, no? I know they host Anonymous meetings, where they rent rooms cheaply, or look into large restaurants that would support a group that size? (Not sure how many ppl) ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll keep a look out and ask around. How many ppl on the committee?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear MissTheorist:

    I've been trying churches with TONS of disappointment! One PRIEST actually said "I'm not interested & we don't have the room" & this is coming from a priest!! All of my 'kindness' went out the window and I replied "You're not interested? Or you don't have the room? I'm a Christian woman, 30 yrs old, w/a 10 yr old son, and I'm dying of Liver Disease & UR NOT INTERESTED!? Or do you not have the room? I'm not asking for the aphitheatre, just a room that can accommodate 15 people, a room with a table and chairs, for one hour, twice a month.
    The gall of this priest REALLY had me seething!! What a jerk! Anyways, since then I've contacted my NFT Fundraising Consultant, and she tells me that libraries have room, I called a main number, the woman said they RENT rooms for $250 an hr, 7 THAT'S THE NON-PROFIT RATE!!! Jeez...I explained briefly what I needed and she said that I should go to smaller branches DIRECTLY and ask someone there, that I may have better luck there, which is my 'job for the day'. I'm also going to ask some hardware stores (Home Depot, Lowes, or small mom&pop shops that sell paint) cause I need empty quart-sized paint cans that I can affix labels to & leave at cash registers, or where ppl pay a bill at a restaurant, and I've already got a few places that would allow me to do that. I also came up with a brilliant idea, that, instead of leaving 20 or so copies that were donated to me by a friend just 'left' there for ppl to wipe their a**es with, I got clear sheet protectors, and they actually have the 3 holes for them to go into a binder, but instead of going into a binder, I'm going to attach a string around it, so it's attached to the donation can (which will be held down with hard 3M velcro, you know, the REALLY HARD plastic kind?) I got that idea of the 'hard velcro' when I was eating pizza yesterday, I saw a tip jar there, and theys plenty of room on the counter & it's PERFECT because ppl gotta wait for their pizza & I even caught myself looking around in boredom, so I'm sure others will look around and see the canister & read the appeal letter, maybe leave a buck or two in there. Also, since this is NYC & ALOT of ppl don't speak English, only Spanish, the colored copies of my appeal letter (which is basically what you see when you click on www.transplants.org/donate/victoriasantiago written out) that are DOUBLE-SIDED one side in english, the other, in Spanish! So that REALLY makes the potential donations MUCH BETTER! So, like I said, there's around 18 volunteers AS OF NOW, and out of that, there's probably 10 of us that are local (NYC area), so we DON'T need a lot of room, I would consider doing it at my apt, but my living room IS my bedroom, so there's no space for everyone!! Don't wanna do it at a park, where everything is flying all over the place, plus, weather isn't always on your side! Also, there's no electrical outlet at a park for my coffee pot!
    If you can find a place, PLZ SEND ME AN EMAIL, IN THE 'EMAIL ME' box, to the right of this page. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete